Monday 3 March 2014

Hello world

Lam without a B. Lamingtons. Lamikins. Lammy. Laminator. Lambchops. Lambert. Lambhorgini. Beef. 
image
I’ve had many nicknames in the past and I’ve appropriated several of them for email addresses, usernames, WIFI hotspots and school jerseys.
My name seems to inspire people want to make fun of it, for example singing to you the Lambchops song that never ends or randomly bleating or over-pronouncing the non-existent b when introducing me. Then there are other instances that are so absurd that it becomes performance art. How else can you describe a classroom full of idiotic 7th graders bleating in unison during 5th period while waiting for the teacher to come to class (yes this did actually happen). If mass bleating is not the best form of social integration and cohesion, then I don’t know what is.
image
The nickname that gives its name to this blog is one my sister used as I was growing up. Part-threat, part-joke, she took great pleasure in yelling out Lamikin-Chop-Chop while making cleaver-on-chopping-board hand gestures. This came from the sister who literally kicked me out of her room and into the corridor wall, so I was never completely sure if I would wake up one day castrated or dismembered.
All kidding aside, I actually quite like this nickname not only because it’s a little bit more clever than the other nicknames, but also because I’m trying to get onto a ‘just do it, now’ mentality. I could be described as contemplative at best, and a procrastinator at worst. My boyfriend often uses this nickname to get me to get out of bed in the morning, and I’m using it now for this blog as an incentive to do things worthy of blogging about, (especially during the next 3 years while I’m living in Bangkok) and to actually write about it. I have some general interests (film and theatre, law, politics, travel, sports) as well as some more peculiar ones (Linux, Latin) so we’ll see what how this blogging thing pans out. I hope to pen some thoughts about films and tv shows past and present, stories about my travels and living in Bangkok, and general comments on things happening around me.
So welcome to Lammie Land - I mean, Lam Chop Chop.
image
'chop chop' apparently also means any sexual activity according to urbandictionary.com, as in ‘damn baby, I could really go for some chop chop right about now.’ Who wouldn’t want some chop chop?

No comments:

Post a Comment